Monday, August 6, 2018

Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess Rose is the eldest of twelve sisters condemned to dance each night for the wicked King Under Stone in his palace deep within the earth. It is a curse that has haunted the girls since their birth -- and only death will set them free.

Then Rose meets Galen, a young soldier-turned-gardener with an eye for adventure and a resolve that matches her own, and freedom suddenly begins to seem a little less impossible. To defeat the king and his dark court, they will need one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all -- true love.

Jessica Day George's inspired reimagining of The Twelve Dancing Princesses demonstrates yet again her mastery at spinning something entirely fresh from a story you only thought you knew. 








Galen was awesome! I loved how he was mature, and yet he didn't sound like a ninety-year-old man, but a nineteen-year-old boy. He made me laugh so many times. Also, HE KNITS. Some people might find that fact weird, but I loved him SO MUCH MORE for that fact. The knitting also played a big role in the story. I can't stop raving about Galen's knitting, but it was sooooooooo adorable.

I have three younger sisters and I love stories that have a "sistery" feel to it. I find that sometimes, books that have sisters in it as a major plot point don't make them feel like real sisters. I'll be sitting there and think that these girls seem more like really good friends and not sisters. The twelve sisters in this story really seemed like sisters. They fought (and sisters do that, trust me). They helped each other. They loved each other. They were sisters.

The romance was pretty cute. I loved how Galen and Rose met, it honestly seemed like something that I would do. And their scenes were so cute, too bad there weren't more of them.

Okay, so the story world was pretty cool. Like, it reminded me sooo much of our earth, but it was different. I always find those worlds really cool. Because you have to make it different enough so people don't think that it's on earth, but not so different that they can't see the similarity

The plot was pretty good! Like I said earlier, it was ingenious how Jessica Day George made the knitting a really essential part of the plot was really cool! And the way she retold the fairy-tale was really cool.




So the ending was a little confusing and rushed. I had to re-read it to get a grip on what was going on. Like, who was the King Under Stone?? That was the part that sorta confused me. I could have done with a little less rushed ending.

So this might be a little confusing, as a said that the romance was one of my favorite things, but I don't think that Galen and Rose had enough screen time (if you will) to fall in love. Maybe attraction, but not love. The romance was so adorable, and I wish that it would have been fleshed out a little better.




So the princesses are accused of witchcraft. And there is the use of some magical objects. There are also mention of spells but they are put in a bad light.




A very adorable and easy read! I give it...

Image result for 4.5 stars

4.5 stars


Have you read Princess of the Midnight Ball? If so, what were your thoughts? Do you want to read it? Have you read anything else by Jessica Day George?

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I’ve been wondering whether I should pick this up or not! I’ll definitely add this to my TBR pile, though! Great review, Ceci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! You definitely should read it!

      Delete

A post with book memes :D

Sup y'all! So maybe today was not a good day for you. Maybe you were easily frustrated, maybe nothing seemed to work, and maybe-just-...