Thursday, July 26, 2018

A Daring Sacrifice



      For three years, the Cloaked Bandit has terrorized Wessex, robbing the nobility by knife point and a well-placed arrow. But little does anyone know, this bandit is in fact Juliana Wessex, the rightful ruler of the land and a girl her tyrannical uncle    the current Lord Wessex    believes was killed with her farther.

                                      Juliana has become skilled at hiding from Lord Wessex in the forest, using her stolen goods to provide food and shelter to the peasants her uncle has taxed into poverty. But when she robs Collin Goodrich, her red hair betrays her true identity. Lord Collin remembers her from their childhood    and challenges her to stay on his estate for a week in hopes she will leave her thieving ways and become a proper lady once more. Juliana is intrigued by Collin and his charms, but only time will tell if he can overcome her distaste of nobility   as well as win her heart.  




I Just Need To State: I Looooove This Book Soooooo Much!!!


          Okay, now that I've got that out of my system let's get on the review. There are so many great elements in this book!

  
            I absolutely love how Juliana strives to help her people. She is always trying to better the lives of the people that her uncle has wronged. Even though many times she puts herself in danger as she does this.

     
             I really like how the authoress has made Juliana imperfect so that when people read this book they can relate to Juliana. She displays courage and selflessness but at the same time is displayed as one with struggles of doubting herself in her own abilities and actions.
     
              Sir Collin Goodrich is one of my favorite male heroes that I have read about. (and that's saying a lot because I have read tons    and I mean tons     of books.) He is brave, chivalrous, and at the same time kind and generous. The authoress portrays Collin not as just a handsome and amazing knight, but also as a good man.


         
               Collin seemed a little conceited and proud in the beginning. But after I read more, I discovered that he is actually a good man. There are many examples of how throughout the book. One example is how he is concerned and intrigued for Juliana's well-being and safety. Another is how, after Juliana brought to his attention that the people that live on his land do not have the best of living conditions, he did more to better their living conditions.


         
               One of the many elements I love in this book is Collin and Juliana's faith. Juliana and Collin pray, attend adoration, and receive The Holy Eucharist together. They also both deeply believe in God.


          
                The relationship between Collin and Juliana is another amazing element in the book. It's not the kind that is unrealistic and lustful. No, it's the kind that makes you believe that there is such-a-thing-as "pure", "honest", "true love". (at least from a girl's point-of-view.)


          
                 Now I guess I should warn you that if you don't like strong-minded and hard-headed characters then this is not the book for you. Because both Juliana and Collin are strong-minded and hard-headed.


                  I'm sure you know from the book cover that there is archery in this book. that is actually the reason I first read this book. I absolutely love archery, I'm actually an archer myself. (I know that fact probable isn't relevant to the review. I just thought I'd tell you why I read the book in the first place.)


                                                                   




                    The Only thing I didn't like about this book is that it ends on a-little-of-a cliff-hanger. That is the Only thing. I Am Dead Serious.




                                                                     
                                                                     
      


                 
                         There is a little gore at the end. And it does start off a little weird. It's hard to explain, so I'll just tell you:




                      
                                   " 'Time to chop off your thumbs.' The hulking soldier pinched
                                    the back of my neck through coarse wool of my cloak. The
                                    sharp pressure forced me to kneel in front of  the flat stone.
                                    'Put out your hand, you poacher.'."


                      
                          I know it must sound odd and bloody but it turns out sooooo good in the end. Trust me. Other than those things, this really is an amazing story about faith, adventure, and honest-to-goodness "true love".


                
                                                                           
                                                                         






                     
                                     I hear by rate "A Daring Sacrifice":


                                                                         

            





                                                                            Five Stars!!!


                                                                                                
  
                                                                                                



 Have you read "A Daring Sacrifice"? If so who is your favorite character?  What's your favorite part? Have you read any other books by Jody Hedlund? If so how did you like it?




PS. Please take pity on me. This is my first rodeo    I mean blog ;).  You'll have to excuse my southern humor. I am a southern belle after all ;):).







No comments:

Post a Comment

A post with book memes :D

Sup y'all! So maybe today was not a good day for you. Maybe you were easily frustrated, maybe nothing seemed to work, and maybe-just-...